Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Last Towel

"What's that SMELL?" I complained to no one in particular for the third day in a row as I entered the bathroom.
I had scrubbed the fixtures, replaced the shower curtain, disinfected the surfaces, and even lit a candle. Nothing would get rid of that smell. Where could it be coming from?

 Then one day, I was scooping the dirty laundry from the bathroom hamper into the washing machine. The washing machine was getting fuller as I neared the bottom of the giant hamper. Finally, the machine was jammed so full that I could not fit another thing in it. But the hamper wasn't empty.

Coiled up at the very bottom was a stiff, nasty, old towel. My subconscious mind nudged me, and I had a thought. I stuck my head down into the hamper and then jerked it right back up again. Mystery solved. I had found The Source of The Smell!

Since my washing machine's capacity was slightly less than my hamper's, whatever was in the very bottom almost never got washed. This one last towel had been here for ages, stinking up the entire room because I never quite got down deep enough in my hamper to get it out and wash it. As I peeled that towel off the bottom of my hamper and threw it into the trashcan (it seemed like the only sensible thing to do at the time!), it occurred to me that perhaps this wasn't the only towel stinking up my life. Maybe, just maybe, there was something I'd allowed to fester in the bottom of the deep, dark hamper of my heart. Something that hadn't been washed in a very long time. Something that needed to be disposed of decisively and finally, like this towel that I was tying up in a plastic trash bag right at this moment.

I think if we're honest, we all have something like that. And the scary thing is, we know what it is. We know what it is, but we don't want to touch it. We spray air fresheners and light scented candles to mask the smell -- and that works for awhile. But over time, the smell becomes stronger and stronger and refuses to be covered up. It must be rooted out. It has to go! I've decided it's time to get rid of the last towel. I can't stand the smell any more, and I'm running out of candles.

Oh, by the way, if you are dying to ask me what my "towel" is, I have one thing to say to you:
Go find your own!!

No comments:

Post a Comment